HBCU football: closed matches, upheavals and overtime | Week 10
Week 10 in HBCU football has had its share of slow starts, tight games, surprising upsets, overtime and beatings.
At this point in every year of college football, you either have it or you don’t. It’s the Davids vs. Goliaths! But sometimes those who don’t go out of their way and play the game of a lifetime and beat the biggest, strongest, most skilled opponent – when they certainly shouldn’t have.
Jackson State and FAMU got scared at first, Norfolk and Alcorn didn’t see it coming, Johnson and Livingstone scuffled (literally) and the conference champions took care of business.
The Wacky SWAC
- Alcorn State 31, Bethune-Cookman 35
- South Texas 21, Jackson State 41
- Mississippi Valley State 14, Alabama A&M 42
- Grunt State 26, Arkansas-Pine Bluff 33
- State of Alabama 20, Prairie View A&M 24
- Florida A&M 29, South 17
Prediction results: 5-1;
Alcorne, Jackson State, Alabama A&M, UAPB, Prairie View, FAMU
Big Home wins in the MEAC
- Howard 12, South Carolina State 15
- State of Norfolk 38, Central North Carolina 36 (2 OT)
Prediction results: 1-1; State of South Carolina,
North Carolina Central (4-5, 2-1) was not “hanging out like fools” on Homecoming weekend in Norfolk State. The Eagles came back from a 21 point deficit in the second quarter, regained the lead and faced the Spartans to win in a double overtime thriller!
The fall of Norfolk State (6-3, 2-1 MEAC) in conference action was their first of the season. The Spartans hurt their conference chances slightly, but all is not lost for the Coach Odums team.
South Carolina State (5-4, 4-0) won a defensive battle and took the lead to claim the MEAC title. SCS is having a tough game hosting NC A&T on Saturday, November 13th. The Bulldogs must win to stage an epic clash with Norfolk State on November 20 to settle the MEAC.
Next weekend’s showdown between NSU and Delaware State will be filled with drama. If the Spartans win, the Nov. 20 game will become the deciding contest for the crown as the Bulldogs have already defeated the Eagles.
- Tuskegee 23, Miles 52
- Central State 0, State of Kentucky 63
- Morehouse 35, Clark Atlanta 26
- Fort Valley State 0, State of Albania 57
- channel 30, Benedict 34
- Edward Waters 0, State of the Savannah 24
Prediction results; 5-1: Miles, State of Kentucky, Morehouse, State of Albany,
way, State of the Savannah
- Albany State will face the West Division Champions on November 13 at the West Division Champions Campus.
- My Morehouse Maroon Tigers shouted at Clark Atlanta and earned the bragging rights around the AUC.
- Kentucky State and Savannah State shut out their opponents.
- Livingstone College to Johnson C. Smith (NO COMPETITION)
- Elizabeth City State 6, Bowie State 79
- Shaw University 17, Saint Augustine 21
- Lincoln (AP) 12, Chowan 28
- State of Virginia 13, Virginia Union 20
- Winston-Salem 3, State of Fayetteville 10
Prediction results: 4-2;
Johnson C. smith, Bowie State, Shaw, Chowan, Virginia Union, Fayetteville State
- Bowie State has mutilated Elizabeth City!
- St. Augustine upset Shaw for the Raleigh Classic Trophy!
- Unhappy news. A fight began between Livingstone Colle and Johnson C. Smith and the match was suspended. The CIAA declared the match without competition. The conference and the institutions will examine the circumstances of the incident.
- The Johnson C. Smith-Livingstone rivalry is the oldest among the HBCUs.
- Gardner Webb 21, Hampton 27
- North Carolina A&T 21, Charleston South 18
Prediction results: 1-1:
Gardner-Webb, North Carolina A&T
- Gardner-Webb’s loss to Hampton in overtime was a boost to the program in the Deep South.
State of Tennessee 20, UT Martin 41
Prediction Results: 0-1:
State of Tennessee
- A small setback for the Coach George team. I was hoping TSU would upset the 11th ranked UT Martin team.